Greetings from an SSSI Staffer

Talk about anything EE related and doesn't belong in another forum. Gameplay, chit-chat, or any questions you have -- it all belongs here.
Eqqman
Novice Member

Greetings from an SSSI Staffer

Post by Eqqman »

Hello all-

Christopher Theriault here, the Lead Single Player Game Designer for EE. Just recently discovered that the EE community is still alive after nearly 20 years. I've been watching "Let's Play" videos of the EE campaigns on YouTube recently and took the time to share my thoughts about the development of the EE scenarios with them. I've posted the same comments to two channels, Timpedia and ACE1918. I would recommend watching ACE's videos over Tim's as ACE appears to be a stronger player and did a much better job of organizing his content, each campaign has its own playlist and it's one video per scenario. Tim just has a single massive playlist and there doesn't appear to be a lot of logic as to how the videos are organized, he might for example start a new scenario halfway through one of the videos.

Thanks to you all for continuing to be fans of the game after all this time.

P-51
Epic Multiplayer Scenario Team Member
Xfire: p51p51
Lobby Username: «•FRMB•»P-51

Re: Greetings from an SSSI Staffer

Post by P-51 »

And thank you for being an absolute legend!

Eqqman
Novice Member

Post by Eqqman »

Well, I wouldn't consider myself a legend, just somebody who worked with some!

Locodoco
Advanced Member
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Locodoco_

Post by Locodoco »

pody: eC .. is etc for what ?
_[eC]_Arntzen_: european cunts
pody: ahh .. ok bro
_[eC]_Arntzen_: np
_[eC]_Arntzen_: :)

Eqqman
Novice Member

Post by Eqqman »

Awesome! I'm mainly a single-player guy but I'm not above watching a good smack-down once in a while.

Philla007
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: Philla007

Post by Philla007 »

Hello!
SSSI_Eggman, is that you? xD
Glad to have you with us again! You should also check modding scene of Empire Earth.

Here are 2 links:
Discord server - https://discord.gg/BjUXbFB
GitHub - https://github.com/EE-modders

Eqqman
Novice Member

Post by Eqqman »

Yes, any rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated. And apparently Empire Earth's!

Philla007
Forum Noob

Post by Philla007 »

Because of caring community, although it is small nowdays, it is alive.
So you worked only on single player scenarios and campaigns, nothing else?

Eqqman
Novice Member

Post by Eqqman »

Yes, my main focus was the single player stuff. The team was big enough that we didn't have to wear a lot of hats.

Philla007
Forum Noob

Post by Philla007 »

Oh nice hehe
By the way, why did you and your team made only 4 campaigns? I am curious xD

Eqqman
Novice Member

Post by Eqqman »

The main goal was to have enough so that every epoch in the game had some kind of coverage (I think only Renaissance units don't make an explicit appearance). The existing campaigns were enough work as it is and all of them already had some cut content, a fifth would likely have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Philla007
Forum Noob

Post by Philla007 »

I see, well yeah, Renaissance units make appearance only two appearances in 2 missions of English campaign.
By the way, we could talk more on my Discord server if you want, I posted link couple replies above.

Eqqman
Novice Member

Post by Eqqman »

You're right, I misspoke a bit. Gunpowder units make an appearance, but the official Renaissance, Dark, and Imperial Epochs do not as Epochs that a scenario takes place in. These have enough unit-type overlaps with adjacent Epochs that nothing really new is added by including them in one of the campaigns. You can also nitpick if gunpowder units are in fact a Renaissance unit rather than a Late Middle Ages one, they are used in Europe starting in the early 14th Century and the Renaissance is usually dated in the 15th Century.

Philla007
Forum Noob

Post by Philla007 »

True, true. Tell me, are Age of Conquest expansion campaigns connected to base game ones? Because in the end of Russian campaign it is like cliffhanger...
In Asian campaign of expansion, Novaya Russia makes appearence as Mars colony on one mission so I don't know if is it connected or not...

Eqqman
Novice Member

Post by Eqqman »

I don't have too much I can say about the AoC campaigns since we didn't complete them. There's an interesting YouTube video out ('Rise and Fall of Empire Earth') that kind of implies that we just had a meeting one day and decided we were too excited to start EE2 to bother doing the expansion. This was totally NOT the case, some (and I would also go so far as to say, many) of us absolutely wanted to do the expansion and we had in fact already started content on it. I planned out the American campaign and I presume Gordon Farrell planned out the Roman one, I have no idea now who did the Space one. We only got as far as planning out the scenarios on paper and didn't fire up the Editor, so our materials were passed along to the expansion company to use as much or as little of as they liked. I played through the AoC campaigns once on release just to see what they did with our ideas and that was it. I don't remember who might have had the original idea of putting Novaya Russia into the Space campaign, but it certainly would have been a great opportunity to make that campaign a direct sequel to the Russian one. Once you open up the time travel box all kinds of possibilities are available.

Return to “EE General Discussion”