[Fixes] Antivirus, CDKeys, Resolutions on AMD hardware

If you're having any technical difficulties with EE, or installing or using the NeoEE patch, make a post here and someone will try and help you out.
krazyjakee
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: krazyjakee

[Fixes] Antivirus, CDKeys, Resolutions on AMD hardware

Post by krazyjakee »

I understand some things mentioned here are already "explained" in docs, guides and forum posts, however, this keeps catching out a number of people so I've decided to do a write-up of the issues I ran into, why they are happening and how to fix them.

1. Antivirus

This includes anti-malware such as Malwarebytes. Be sure to turn off all protections DURING INSTALLATION. If you didn't do this, uninstall neo-ee and install again. The reason this is important is an executable is extracted and run during the installation called "auth-tools.exe". This is falsely identified as a threat and blocked from running but is a critical part of the installation as it checks for a valid CD key.

2. CDKeys

These keys will exist even with GOG or other digital versions. The keys are stored in the registry at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Sierra\CDKeys". Both are "REG_BINARY" entries, one named "EEAOC" and one named "EmpireEarth". They are encoded versions of CDKeys stored as hex values. You can't just paste a key off an old forum post and expect it to work, it wont. These values need to be valid and present DURING INSTALLATION. If you bought the game after installing neo-ee, uninstall neo-ee and install again.

3. Resolution

During installation make sure if you are using AMD hardware that you choose the AMD option.
Note that the menu resolution may not be correct or working but don't worry! When you start a game, it will be correct.

Thanks

Return to “Support”