Empire Earth wont start windows 10

If you're having any technical difficulties with EE, or installing or using the NeoEE patch, make a post here and someone will try and help you out.
FaTaLL
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: FaTaLL

Empire Earth wont start windows 10

Post by FaTaLL »

Hello guys,

I'm actually a old Neoee player. I could play EE on NeoEE on Windows 10 before. Now i wanted to play again and trying to make it work for like 2 days straight.

System : Windows 10.
GPU : Nvidia 1660 TI and Intel HD Graphics 4600.
CPU : Intel I7-4790 3.60 GHz

(I already tried all Compability settings on any EE i installed)

First I installed "EE UNLIMITED" and tried to run setup but i get the same error message from all setup files which is "An error occured while launching the setup. The remote procedure call failed."

Then I found 3-4 different EE already installed in a folder. (Including pre NeoEE installed from Neoee's official website.)
and one of them is GOG.

One of them is perfectly opening EE(No NeoEE or anything). But neither NeOEE installed EE or GOG version of EE is working.). I do not even see the Empire Earth Logo at the start.

Then I installed NeoEE installer to working EE's folder and it did not work as usual.

Then I started to swap files from working EE to pre-installed NeoEE EE one by one. To see which file is making the problem. Then I think i found the file that makes EE not run which is low level engine.dll. When you run NeoEE installer, it changes the low level engine.dll and then it does not work. When I copy low level engine.dll from working EE to NEoee, it just gives an error.

I have no anti-virus and turned off Windows Defender.

I have no idea how to solve it. Please help! :)

Thanøs
Novice Member
Lobby Username: Thanøs

Re: Empire Earth wont start windows 10

Post by Thanøs »

It is said that many many installations and registration keys could be a problem. I also had similar issues a few years ago (weird errors, dll. missing or nothing happened).

But before you try my suggestion below: Are you sure you chose the right EE.Exe or directory when you install Neo? As you said one folder works to start, maybe you just need to manually select this folder and it works? You can chose manual or express choose.

IF this not works may try this:
I advise you to remove all remnants of EE completely with a program
(incl. Registry clean, use "CCleaner" free program after deinstallation to clean up unused or old registry keys, suggest you make a "safe" as the programm recommends ;) but i never had an issue tbh). You may want to save your Names/civs/saves/lobby background images, friendlists or whatever *_*)

To delete all files / keys, use a program like "revo uninstaller" or similar (a free program i recommend cause i had success with it with similar issue, https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo-un ... -download/). With this you can also search for remnants of the deinstallation and remove it completely.

I also suggest to restart your Pc after cleaning the PC of EE first before the new installation (make sure all folders are gone).

I have solved similar stuff with this. GL :thumbsupl:

Bogdan_xD
Advanced Member
Lobby Username: [FAME] Bogdan_xD

Post by Bogdan_xD »

try this for the moment

1. Go to Control Panel -> Apps&Features and delete every instance of Empire Earth
2. You can do what the guy above said, it can be true, although it's kind of a hard case when it comes to EE, as EE doesn't make that many registrys, and not even installs files into windows folders.
CCleaner can help to remove those kind of stuff, although just Right-Clicking the partition in where the windows is, and do a Disk Cleanup should be enough.

3. Download and install this Installer, it's based on the GoG version ( even tho i saw that you tried that, try this aswell )
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tltvKv ... lK6QV/view

4. Once installed, enter the game to check if it does.
5. If it does, Install NeoEE and check again, but make sure firewall is allowed, both public and private.
6. If it still doesn't, say it here again.

If it's indeed just that file, there might be the case in which your windows blocked the .dll file as it doesn't trust it.
To do so, right click that .dll -> Security Tab and check if you have a "unblock" box.If you do, check it, if you don't, and something like this appears :
Press on the Edit button : and check the boxes except for Full Controll and Special Permissions.
Streaming Empire Earth , mostly Islands F11 60 @ https://www.twitch.tv/bogdanx94

FaTaLL
Forum Noob

Post by FaTaLL »

Hello guys. I recorded all the actions i made. VIDEO -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKC_zth5dbA

I tried everything you guys said above. First I cleaned Empire Earth and its registry points with CCleaner. Then I restarted my computer and start recording.
Bogdan, I tried giving full access to every single exe or setup i tried before so it does not fix it.

As you guys can see in the video it does not even show the EE logo. Actually this EE version in the video : "Empire Earth Working Windows 10 By Wildone Productions" works perfectly. I just forgot to change compability mode to windows 8 in the video so it just shows the logo and closes.

I'm pretty sure the problem is low level engine dll. There is a size difference between neoee's and original ee's low level engine.dll. And you cannot swap them.

Maybe something is conflicting with neoee's low level engine.dll in the windows 10. Neoee's developer should know about this one, i guess.

[EDIT] Also GoG's The Art of Conquest version is working too. (Before I install Neoee). I forgot to change compability mode to windows 8 as well. (It does not work after i install neoee patch tho).

Any other suggestions? :(

Bogdan_xD
Advanced Member

Post by Bogdan_xD »

not the EmpireEarth.exe security

the .dll security...
low-level-engine.dll -> Security -> and check the boxes i said, except Full Cotroll and Special Permissions.

Also, try to open the game with the Shortcuts that NeoEE is creating on the desktop.
Streaming Empire Earth , mostly Islands F11 60 @ https://www.twitch.tv/bogdanx94

FaTaLL
Forum Noob

Post by FaTaLL »

I tried that before but just to make sure i did it again. Nothing changes. Permissions already set to allow for low level engine.dll

Bogdan_xD
Advanced Member

Post by Bogdan_xD »

At this point there would be just one more way to see if it works.

Reinstalling a fresh windows, followed by ee abd neoee.

There's small chance of certain windows files missing or being in conflict with neoee files. If it would still not work, then i honestly dont know what could cause it and how to solve it. Only Jodocus might

FaTaLL
Forum Noob

Post by FaTaLL »

How to summon Jodocus? :D :tongue:

Bogdan_xD
Advanced Member

Post by Bogdan_xD »

He's rarelly active, i'd probably just send him a private message on this forum, and maybe he will answer it when he comes online.He does it like 1-2 days per week

FaTaLL
Forum Noob

Post by FaTaLL »

From does not let me send private message. It says im new. :D

Bogdan_xD
Advanced Member

Post by Bogdan_xD »

sent him a message about this topic.Hopefully he sees it and has some solutions

FaTaLL
Forum Noob

Post by FaTaLL »

Thank you bro you're the best! :)

FaTaLL
Forum Noob

Post by FaTaLL »

Omg. I actually solved it by myself. I checked Event Viever to see what is the error for not starting the game.

Then I saw the error code is : "Exception code: 0xc0000005" and the Event name is "BEX".
Which is often about Data Execution Prevention(DEP). Causes old games not to run.

I made it inactive for Empire Earth then BOOM, it works.

For people facing the same problem for Windows 10.

1-> Type "view advanced system settings" to search bar.
2-> Go to Advanced tab.
3-> In performance section, open "Settings".
4-> Go to Data Execution Prevention tab.
5-> Select "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:"
6-> Click "Add" and Select your Empire Earth.exe

Return to “Support”