Overclocking CPUs

Discuss anything here related to the large world of computers and electronics, whether you're asking for help, wanting to learn more, or just want to share some intellect with your fellow forumers.
Moo
Spam4food

Overclocking CPUs

Post by Moo »

This is pretty much just a question for nola but everyone can come in here and say something too I guess. First of all the reason why I'm overclocking is to run the Wii Emulator better, now I already know I should lay down 100$ on a better CPU Cooler before i should even mess with it. The thing is The Emulator only takes up 2 Cores not 4 so is it posssible to only overclock 2 of the cores :P? If so im guessing the CPU will be a lot cooler then overclocking all 4 of my cores.

inola
Nemesis

Re: Overclocking CPUs

Post by inola »

Nah I don't think so.

Moo
Spam4food

Post by Moo »

Well then I might just stay at 2.8Ghz I probally shouldnt OC just so i can run the emulator when my wii is 10 feet away from me. Quick question so i dont start a whole new topic, Stuck Pixels (1 Green 1 Red) how do they get off my screen >_>?

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Stuck pixels should go away by themselves, as quick as a day or as long as a year. If you really can't stand it, you could try flashing bright colors on the screen (get 2 windows with different colors and just switch between them quickly) or just gently rubbing the spot on the screen where the stuck pixel is. I've had one once and it went away after a week or so, but for me totally dead pixels seem to be more common.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

inola
Nemesis

Post by inola »

You might be able to oc it with a stock fan it depends on cpu, the intel e5200 can get as much as 1ghz with stock fan.
I overclocked my friend c2d e7200 from 2.5 ghz to 3.5 ghZ with this $20 cheap cooler.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=8WA741&cat=CPU

Ephialtes
Basic Member
Lobby Username: mücke

Post by Ephialtes »

I would overclock 4 cpus and use this Cooler. It costs about 40€ which would be ~ 50$. I use it as well for my overclocked AMD X2 550 and the cooler can be used sooooo freakin' silent, its unbelievable. I dont hear a sound at all. Its a Quad Core CPU with only 2 CPUs enabled (AMD sells broken quad cores as cheap dual cores, if you're lucky you can activate one of the 2 broken cpus). Lucky me =)

edit: the name of it is: Scythe Mugen 2
Sich selbst bekriegen ist der schwerste Krieg, sich selbst besiegen der schönste Sieg

Return to “Technical Discussion”